What is the ultimate goal of any organization? To speed up the delivery lifecycle and achieve its utmost benefits keeping users in mind.
DevOps as an approach not only reduces the time of delivery with its CI/CD pipeline; It also inculcates a team culture, wherein the people are considered on top of anything else when it comes to delivering software with maximum efficiency. So, creating the right DevOps culture is crucial.
People, not processes, are the most common cause of DevOps failure. It does not focus on individual tools or job titles, but its essence lies in the set of practices that rope both developers and operators to work in sync and deliver software to the end-users in a more potent way.
Reasons for DevOps failure or slowdown
1. Lack of DevOps Culture
To realize the full potential of DevOps, the organizations must thrive on DevOps culture. Now the question arises, why culture is important?
DevOps culture is a collaborative effort of development + operations team, which requires the right mindset and a culture that encourages and bridges the gap between them. Hence, the success of any DevOps project relies primarily on team culture.
How to set up the right DevOps culture?
Well, to avoid slow down or failures in DevOps, organizations need to look for:
1. Right DevOps situation, skills, tools and the attitude of the software development team. Azure DevOps is a strong agile tool that primarily focuses on planning and monitoring along with the development and deployment of code to your server. For example, our team at Softobiz uses the Azure DevOps CI/CD pipeline since it was introduced by Microsoft to ensure speedy solutions to its clients.
2. Understand what your team is doing at present, what are they capable of doing, and gradually carve a way for DevOps in the team.
3. For DevOps to be successful in an organization, leaders need to understand the real essence of DevOps, which lies in a collaborative environment.
4. Organizations need to check for leadership limitations which can be the cause of failure as people are central to DevOps. Team leaders & team members must have an attitude of sharing knowledge.
Only tools can’t help; A DevOps mindset is required to indulge with user-centric behavior.
2. Not Analyzing the Reason behind Opting DevOps
DevOps is a way for organizations to digitally transform. However, every organization has a different set of requirements. To avoid failure, DevOps objectives should align with your organization’s goals.
Now the question is how DevOps will work for your organization? Answers to the below-given questions can help:
- What loopholes do you experience in your software development process?
- How DevOps will remove them?
Moreover, a stable and strong infrastructure is required which has:
- High availability of multiple servers
- Disaster recovery methods should be there, which can enable DR with infrastructure as code (IaC), canary deployment and CI/CD pipelines.